Karimnagar (Telugu: కరీంనగర్, Urdu: کریم نگر ضلع), is a town and a Municipal Corporation in Karimnagar district in the state of Andhra Pradesh, India. It is the administrative headquarters of Karimnagar District. It is located on the banks of Maneru river, a tributary of the Godavari river. Karimnagar is situated 162 km north of Hyderabad, the capital city of Andhra Pradesh. It is a major business center. And it is emerging as a major educational hub with Satavahana University, Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University (JNTU), two medical colleges, thirteen engineering colleges, a veterinary science college, a pharmacy college and 6 B.Ed colleges. In addition, it is home to Sri Raja Rajeshwara Govt. Degree College.
Karimnagar's early history is dominated by the famous kingdoms of Satavahanas & Kakatiyas. Koti Lingala in Karimnagar was the first capital of the Sathavahanas before Dharanikota. Excavations at Koti Lingala revealed coinage of Simukha, a Satavahana emperor.
Karimnagar was originally called Kareem Nagar, deriving its name from Syed Kareemullah Shah Saheb Quadri. It was one of the regional capitals during the rule of the Nizams.There are many historical monuments are there such as Tower circle,Kaman circle and Elgandal Fort which is 12 km away from karimnagar Town. Several famous people such as P.V. Narasimha Rao, former Prime Minister of India, and Dr. C. Narayana Reddy, Renowned Poet, Vemulawada Bheema Kavi, Paidi Jairaj[Dada saheb phalke award winner] hail from Karimnagar. The town is known for its hospitality and well behaved, hardworking people. Karimnagar is famous for silver filigree work, a very delicate form of metal craft. Karimnagar is the fastest growing town in Telengana region, and has a lot of potential to become a major city in near future.
Karimnagar is located at 18°26′N 79°09′E / 18.43°N 79.15°E / 18.43; 79.15. It has an average elevation of 265 metres (869 feet).
As of 2001[update] India census, Karimnagar town had a population of 2,89,375. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Karimnagar has an average literacy rate of 76%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 82%, and female literacy is 69%. In Karimnagar, 12% of the population is under 6 years of age.As per 2007 current population 8,78,000. in karimnagar city.
The majority of people in Karimnagar are devout Hindus. But there is also a significant impact of Muslim rulers, who ruled this region before Indian independence. The percentages of religions followed here are Hindu 76%, Muslim 15%,however, people converted to Christian religion to 8% and Sikh 1% . Across Karimnagar, there are several Hindu temples, mosques, churches, and gurdwaras. People belonging to every religion respect each other and co-exist with peace and happiness.
Major Hindu festivals such as Ugadi, Krishna Janmashtami, Sri Ramanavami, Vinayak Chaturthi, Bathukamma festival, Dasara, Deepavali and Sankranti are celebrated here with zeal and vigour. Muslims celebrate Ramzan (Id-ul-Fitr) and Bakri IddId-ul-Zuha,Milad un Nabi, Shab-e-Meraj, Shab-e-Barat, Shab-e-Qadar and Moharram with great pomp and ceremony. And Christians celebrate Christmas and Good Friday.
Arts & Music
1. Ghantasala Sangeetha Kala Samithi
2. Raaga Manjari Sangeetha Kala Samithi
3. ICON Music Company, producer of a telugu pop album called You.
Karimnagar town is located 162 kilometres from Hyderabad, 83 kilometres from Mancherial, 70 kilometres from Warangal and 150 kilometres from Nizamabad. APSRTC (Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation), has a Zonal headquarters (comprising of Adilabad, Nizamabad, Warangal, Khammam and Karimnagar Dists) in Karimnagar. It has one of the busiest bus stations in India with over 2500 buses passing by every day.
As Karimnagar is not served fully by Rail, So most of the commuters in town use buses to travel to distant places. APSRTC operates buses from Karimnagar to several places like Hyderabad/Secunderabad (served by 300 buses every day including Volvo coaches), Adilabad, Nizamabad, Warangal, Khammam, Nalgonda, Vijayawada, Vishakapatnam, Guntur, Piduguralla, Ongole, Kandukur, Kavali, Nellore, Puttaparthi & Tirupathi, in Andhra Pradesh. Mumbai, Bhiwandi, Shirdi, Chandrapur, Gadhchiroli, Gondia, Ramtek & Ahiri in Maharashtra State and Bangalore (served by Volvo Coach) in Karnataka State.
Karimnagar town is connected by a single broad gauge railway line with the Main Line (North-South or New Delhi-Chennai) at Peddapalli (35 kilometres) to the northeast and Jagityal (48 kilometres) to the northwest. Only one passenger train (Jagityal-Sirpur, Push Pull Passenger-Up/Down) passes through Karimnagar station everyday. Karimnagar railway station generates good revenues to Indian Railways in terms of freight transport and it is one among very few stations in India which handles Granite. The nearest major railway junction is Kazipet Junction which has 147 trains passing through, including super fast trains such as the AP express and Rajadhani express. The railway divisional headquarters are in Warangal. The nearest airport open to public is the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport in Hyderabad.
* Anabheri Prabhakar Rao
* C. Narayana Reddy
* Singireddy Bhoopathy Reddy (Martyr, Died fighting against razakars)
* Riasat Ali Taj 1930-1999(Poet,Writer,Critic & Educationist)
* P.V. Narasimha Rao, former Prime Minister of India
Education and sports
Karimnagar is a major education centre in North-western Andhra Pradesh. Karimnagar has produced many renowned intellectuals, politicians, poets and technologists over several decades. P.V. Narasimha Rao, former Indian Prime Minister is one among them. Many software techies who were born and educated in Karimnagar have migrated to major metropolitans in India and across the globe. A major population of Urdu speaking Indians working in Saudi Arabia,Bahrain,USA,UK, Australia,Canada,Dubai and Singapore many more countries of the World are from Karimnagar.
Karimnagar has the following Universities and Colleges.
Police training college
1. Sathavahana University,Karimnagar -*satavahana.ac.in
2. Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Nachupally , Karimnagar
Sports and stadiums
The city has hosted several national and international level sporting events for various sports.
* B.R. Ambedkar Stadium
* Indoor Stadium
* Swimming Pool
* Regional Sports School
* Water Sports Academy
* Police Parade Ground
* SRR college ground
Govt. Degree & PG Colleges
1. Satavahana PG College, LMD, Karimnagar
2. SRR Govt Degree College, Karimnagar (Accredited by NAAC B++ Grade)
3. Govt Degree & PG College for Women, Kashmeergadda, Karimnagar (Accredited by NAAC B+ Grade)
Private Degree & PG Colleges
1. Vani Degree College
2. Sree Chaithanya Degree College
3. S.E.S. Degree & Law College
4. KIMS Colleges
5. Vaninikethan Degree & PG College
6. Apoorva degree college, Mukarampura, Karimnagar
7. Shivani Degree & PG college
8. SRM Degree & PG College
9. Jaya Sri Degree college
10. Vivekananda Degree & P.G. College
11. Vivekananda Post Graduate Centre
12. Alphors Degree College(Women's)
13. Arora Degree College
14. Government Degree College for Women,
15. S R R Government Arts & Science College
16. Jagruti Degree College
17. Masters Degree College,
18. Shivani Degree College
19. SRM Degree College
20. Sri Vidyanikethan (SV) Women's Degree College,
21. Vaageshwari Degree College
22. Vani Sri Degree Collge
Medical, Pharmacy and Nursing Colleges
1. Pratima Institute of Medical Sciences (PIMS), Nagunoor
2. Chalmeda Ananda Rao Institute of Medical Sciences (CAIMS,CHAR)
3. S.R.R COLLEGE OF PHARMACEUTICAL SCIENCES, VALBHAPOOR (V), ELKATHURTHI (M), KARIMNAGAR
4. Vageshwari College of Pharmacy, Nusthulapur, Karimnagar.
5. Vaageswari Ayurvedic College
6. Vaageswari college of Pharmaceutical Sciences
7. Santhosh Nursing School, Vidyanagar, Karimnagar.
8. Sai Institute of Health Sciences (BPT & MLT), Karimnagar
9. Trinity college of Pharmaceutical Sciences
10. CVM Pharmacy College, Velichala, Kothapally (via), Karimnagar.
11. Sivani School of Nursing, Karimnagar
12. Santosh College of Nursing, Karimnagar
13. SRM Institute of Medical Sciences and Technology, Karimnagar
14. Prathima College of Nursing, Karimnagar
1. (JITS-1)Jyothishmathi Institute of Technology and Science, Nusthulapoor, Karimnagar
2. (JITS-2)Jyothishmathi Institute of Technological and Sciences, Ramakrishna colony, Karimnagar
3. Sree Chaithanya College of Engineering(1) and Technology, Karimnagar
4. Sree Chaithanya College of Engineering(2) and Technology, Karimnagar
5. (VITS-1)Vivekananda College of Engineering and Technology, Karimnagar
6. (VITS-2)Vivekananda College of Engineering and Technology, Karimnagar
7. (VITS-3)Vivekananda Women's Engineering College, Bommakal, Karimnagar.
8. Kamala Institute of Technology, Singapur, Karimnagar
9. Vageswari College of Engineeing, Karimnagar
10. Vageswari Engineeing College, Karimnagar.
11. Vageswari Institute of management sciences.
12. Vageswari Institute of computer sciences.
13. Mother Theresa Engineering College, Pedda Bonkur, Karimnagar
14. Dr. VRK College of Engineering, Jagtial, Karimnagar
15. JNTU Engineering College, Kondagattu, Karimnagar
16. Nigama Engineering College, Mogdumpur, Karimnagar
17. Sahaja Engineering College, Rekurthy, Karimnagar
1. Crescent College of Education, Mukarrampura Karimnagar
2. Gourisetti venkatiah B.Ed.college, Jagityal Road,Karimnagar
3. RBVRR B.Ed college, Bank colony, Karimnagar
4. Trinity College of Education, Karimnagar
5. District Institute of Education & Training (diet)
6. Gyanodaya Hindi Pandit Training College
7. Hindi Shikshak Prashikshan Mahavidyalaya
8. Jawaharlal Nehru College of Education
9. Kousalya Telugu Pandit Trng Course
10. Rashmidhar Teja College of Education
11. Rousseau College of Education
12. Sri Vani Jhindi Pandit Training College
13. Surya College of Education
14. Trinity Telugu Pandit Training College
15. Manair College of Education,Padmanagar
1. Govt Polytechnic, Agraharam, Karimnagar
2. Govt Women's Polytechnic, Karimnagar
1. A.P.S.W.R.Jr.College For Girls,Karimnagar
2. A.P.S.W.R.Jr.College For Girls,Mallapur
3. Alphores Jr.College, Karimnagar
4. Bharati Junior College, Thimmapur
5. Bishop Saloman Jr.College, Karimnagar
6. Govt.Jr.College For Girls, Karimnagar
7. Govt.Jr.College(Arts& Commerce), Karimnagar
8. Holi Trinity Junior College, Karimnagar
9. Holy Trinity Jr.College For Girls, Karimnagar
10. Holy Trinity Jr.College, Karimnagar
11. Jayasree Jr.College, Karimnagar
12. Loyola Jr.College, Karimnagar
13. M.K.Junior College, Mukarampura
14. Masters Jr.College, Thimmapur
15. Matha Junior College,Ramadugu
16. Nandikonda Junior College, Karimnagar
17. Paramita Jr.College, Chintalakunta
18. Pratibha Girls Jr.College, Karimnagar
19. S.E.S.Jr.College, Karimnagar
20. S.R.M.Jr.College, Karimnagar
21. Sri J.V.S.Junior College, Karimnagar
22. Turning Point Jr.College, Karimnagar
23. Vani Niketan Jr.College For Girls, Karimnagar
24. vani Niketan Jr.College, Karimnagar
1. Adarsha Vidyalayam High School, Adarshanagar.
2. Alphores Girls Junior College, Jagtial Road.
3. Alphores Junior College, Jagtial Road.
4. Apsw Residential School & Junior College, Subhash Nagar.
5. Arshia Model High School, Sawaran Street, Karimnagar
6. Ashoka Vidyalayam High School, Bommakal Road.
7. Bhagavathi High School, E/m
8. Bharathiya Vidya Kendra High School, Ashok Nagar.
9. Bheem Reddy High School, Kashmirgadda.
10. Bishop Solomen Junior College, Karimnagar.
11. Brindavan High School, Brahamanwada.
12. Chaitanya Bharathi High School, Subhash Nagar.
13. Chanakya High School, Kothirampur.
14. Crescent High School, Mukarampura.
15. C S I High School, Karimnagar.
16. Deccan High School, Hussainipura.
17. Don Bosco High School, M M Thota.
18. English Union High School, Jyothi Nagar.
19. English Union School, Jyothi Nagar.
20. Freedom Fighters School For Mentally Handicapped, Mukarampura
21. Gandhi Centenary T/m High School, Bhagyanagar.
22. Gems Junior College, Near Kaman, Hno.1-5-130.
23. Golden Era Model High School, Kashmirgadda.
24. Gouthami High School, Briwada. Hno.1-6-79.
25. Gowtham Model School, Opp: Mission Hospital.
26. Govt. Girls High School, Mukarampura.
27. Govt. Girls High School, Osmanpura, Doctoræs Street.
28. Govt. (girls) High School, Shasaheb. U/m
29. Govt. High School, Dhangariwadi, M M Thota.
30. Govt. High School, Durgamma Gadda.
31. Govt. High School, (girls) M M Thota.
32. Govt. High School, (gunj)
33. Govt. High School, Karimnagar.
34. Govt. High School, Karkhana Gadda.
35. Govt. High School, Kothirampur.
36. Govt. High School, Kumadwadi.
37. Govt. High School (old), Mukarampura.
38. Govt. High School, Padmanagar.
39. Govt. High School, Ramnagar
40. Govt. High School, Subhash Nagar.
41. Govt. High School U/m, Sawaran.
42. Govt. Junior College (arts).
43. Govt Junior College For Girls, Osmanpura.
44. Govt. Junior College For Science, Kisan Nagar.
45. Greenland High School, Khaleelpura.
46. Gulf High School, Khanpura.
47. Holy Angels High School, Karimnagar.
48. Holy Trinity Girls Junior College, Vavilalapally.
49. Holy Trinity Junior College, Civil Hospital Road.
50. Homeschooled in Karimnagar
51. Homeschooled in Karimnagar - Karimnagar
52. Jagruthi Vidhya Nikethan High School, Ganesh Nagar.
53. Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial High School.
54. Jaya Sree Junior College, Mukarampura.
55. Jyothishmati Academy
56. Kakatiya H/s Cherlabutkur
57. Kamla High School
58. Karimnagar High School, Vavilalapally.
59. Karimnagar Public School, E/m
60. Kits Junior College, Mukarampura
61. K K High School.
62. Little Flower High School
63. Loyola High School, Rekurthi
64. Loyola Junior College, Rekurthi.
65. Mahathi High School, Vavilalapally.
66. Mahathi Junior College, Court Road, Karimnagar
67. Manair High School, Padmanagar.
68. Manasa Gangotri High School, Manasapuri.
69. Mano Vikas Special School For Mentally Handicaped Children.
70. Masters Junior College.
71. Millenium Junior College, Old Bus Stand Complex.
72. M K Junior College, Mukarampura.
73. Nandikonda Junior College, Kaman Chowrasta.
74. Navodaya High School, M M Thota.
75. NOBLE TECHNO SCHOOL ENGLISH MEDIUM
76. New Navodaya High School, M M Thota.
77. New Wings High School, T V Tower, Ramnagar.
78. Pace High School,Ramachanrapuram.
79. Paramita High School, M M Thota.
80. Pragathi High School, Jyothi Nagar.
81. Prerana High School, Kattarampur.
82. Rama Krishna High School.
83. Ramnagar High School, T V Tower, Ramnagar.
84. R B U R R H S Seetarampur
85. R N T Memorial Shanthinikethan High School, Subhash Nagar.
86. Sadhana High School, Old Bazar.
87. Sagar Memorial High School, Vidyanagar.
88. Sai Gurukul Junior College, Kothirampur.
89. Saraswathi Balanandan High School, Ganesh Nagar.
90. Sarvodaya Convent, Weekly Market Road.
91. Sarvodaya High School, Fathepura.
92. Satavhana Post Graduate University
93. Sharada Vihar High School, Old Bazar.
94. Sharadha Nikethan High School, Kashmirgadda.
95. Shathawahana High School, Kothavaswada.
96. Siddahartha High School,
97. Siddartha High School.
98. Sister Nivedita High School,
99. S K High School, (e/m)
100. Srinivas High School, Ashok Nagar.
101. Sri Raja Rajeswara Ubhaya Vedanta Sanskrit Patasala.
102. Sri Sai E/m High School, Kisan Nagar.
103. Sri Saraswathi Shishumandir High School, Saraswathinagar.
104. Sri Venkateshwara Vidyavihar, High School,
105. Sri Vidya Bharathi High School, Kisan Nagar.
106. Sri Vidyaniketan High School, Jyothi Nagar.
107. St Alphonse High School, Jyothinagar.
108. St Johnæs E/m High School, Bhagyanagar
109. St Paul's High School, Vavilalapally.
110. Sunflower High School, Venkat Sai Theater.
111. S V New Sunflower High School, Ganesh Nagar.
112. Theja High School, Jyothi Nagar.
113. The Laurel High School, Sapthagiri Colony.
114. Unique Convent High School, Ganesh Nagar.
115. Ushodaya Vidyamander High School,
116. Valmeeki High School, Vidyanagar.
117. Vaniniketan Balavihar High School
118. Vani Niketan Bala Vihar High School, (e/m)
119. Vani Niketan Girls High School, Jyothi Nagar.
120. Venus High School, Kothirampur.
121. Vidyadhari High School, Vavilalapally.
122. Vindya Valley High School, Vavilalapally.
123. Vivekanada Residential School,
124. Vivekananda Vidyanikethan High School, Bhagathnagar.
125. Z P S S Asifnagar
126. Z P S S (b) Kothapally
127. Z P S S Bommakal
128. Z P S S Chamanpally
129. Z P S S Chintakunta
130. Z P S S Durshed
131. Z P S S Elgandal
132. Z P S S (g) Kothapally
133. Z P S S Garrepally
134. Z P S S Malkapur
135. Z P S S Maqdumpur
136. Z P S S Nagunoor
1. Justice Kumarayya College of Law, Karimnagar.
1. ABHINAVA TECHNOLOGIES, Kaman Chowrastha, Karimnagar. 
2. NEOGENX TECHNOLOGIES, Ganesh Nagar, Karimnagar. 
3. ADARSHA AUTOMOTIVES PVT LTD, Kothi Rampur, By-Pass Road, Karimnagar.
1. Sri Manvitha Tech Solutions (P). Ltd.,Pariwaar Bakery Building,Near Geetha Bavan, KNR. 
2. Blu-Ray Technologies,Pariwaar Bakery Building,Near Geetha Bavan, KNR. 
3. iD'sign TECHNOLOGIES, opp: District Court, Karimnagar. 
4. Sri Ramana TechnologiesOpp.Registration Office,chaithanyapuri,Karimnagar-505 002.
5. NS LabsNear Court Chowrasta,Shiva Theater road, KNR-505 002.
6. Silkroad IT Ltd - Information TechnologyMankammathota, KNR-505 001.
Multiplex in Karimnagar
Prathima Multiplex is the first multiplex in Karimnagar. It houses a three-star hotel. It also has two restaurants, 24-hour coffee shop, bars, banquet halls, and a gaming zone including bowling alley and computer games.
Karimnagar has evolved into a major health centre in the last two decades because it is centrally located to all the talukas like Jagityal, Sircilla, Ramagundam,kodimyal- cheppial, Manthani, Huzurabad, Jammikunta, Husnabad, Choppadandi, Malyal and Gangadhara. Patients come from all over the district. Government Civil Hospital played a pivotal role in treating the patients.
The major hospitals in the Karimnagar are:
1. santhosh kumar
2. Bheemanatuni Ramesh Orthopedic, beside Raja Delux
3. Dr Mahendhar Reddy Gastrentologist, Beside Raja Delux
4. Government Civil Hospital
5. L. Ram Reddy Hospital
6. Rekurthi Eye Hospital
7. Chalmeda Anand Rao Hospital, Bommakal
8. Prathima Institute of Medical Sciences
9. Bhoom Reddy Hospital
10. Dr. K. Bhagya Reddy, MBBS DPM RCP(Lon), Neuro-Psychiatrist
11. Hema Children's Hospital [Dr Gujjula Mahipal Reddy]
12. Bharathi Children's Hospital, Jagityal
13. Ram Reddy Hospital
14. Jagannadh Reddy Hospital
15. Madekar Hospital
16. Apollo Reach Hospital, Subash Nagar, Near Railway Station
17. Laxman Orthopaedic Hospital
18. Pallavi Children's Hospital
19. Sri Venkateshwara Dental Clinic [Dr. Raja Bhaskar Reddy]
20. Abhilasha Nursing Home
21. Venkateswara Kidney Centre
22. Renne hospital Dr swamy
23. Madhavi Nursing Home
24. Sathya Sagar Hospital
25. Kutija Khatoom Hospital
26. Vamshi Krishna Nursing Home
27. Bhaskar Hospital
28. Naveen Kumar Hospital
29. Sujatha Nursing home
30. Roopshankar Hospital
31. Mohan Reddy Hospital
32. Apollo Hospital
33. Jaganmohan Rao Hospital
34. Madhu Clinic [Dr. P. Madhusudhan Rao]
35. Sivarama Hospital,Court Road
36. Siddhartha Pathological Diagnostic Centre [Dr. K. Shyam Sundar – Pathologist]
37. K.K. Hospital
38. Sri Venkateshwara clinic [Dr.K.Navin Kumar]
39. Dr.Hari Kishan Eye Institute
40. Dr Padmaja Hospital, OPP: Govt Junior college for Girls,
41. Nature Cure Health Center Bommakal [Dr.T Amarender Rao and Dr.T Manjula]
42. dr.Nalla Satya Viadya Sagar(dental docter)near kaman
Two Lok Sabha (Parliament) constituencies cover the entire Karimnagar district – Karimnagar and Peddapalli.
Ponnam Prabhakar (Congress) is MP of Karimnagar constituency in 15th Loksabha Elections. He has served as Govt SRR college President, NSUI State President, Andhra Pradesh Markfed Chairman.
Late Mr. J. Chokka Rao, feedom fighter was won 3 times as MP of Karimnagar
Mr.Gangula Kamalakar(TDP) is the present MLA of Karimnagar constituency. Both of them are very inexperienced politicians.Mr.D.shankar is presently mayor of Karimnagar belongs to Congress(I)Party and Mr.Abbas sami is Dy.mayor of karimnagar he belongs to Majlis e Ittehad ul Muslimeen (MIM).
Karimnagar district has thirteen Legislative Assembly constituencies – Karimnagar, Jagtial, Koratla, Dharmapuri, Vemulawada, Sircilla, Manakondur, Huzurabad, Husnabad, Choppadandi, Peddapalli, Ramagundam and Manthani.
Kalvakuntla Chandrashekar Rao(KCR) the TRS president managed to win three times in a row with in the span of five years(during 2004 to 2009) as member of parliament from karimnagar constiuency.